“The technical regulation establishes unified terminology, identification rules, safety requirements, requirements for manufacturing processes, storage, transportation, sale, disposal and labeling for poultry meat and poultry slaughter products,” the EEC experts explained.
The document was developed by the Ministry of Agriculture of the Russian Federation.
“Conformity assessment sets a veterinary inspection for poultry slaughter products, declaration of conformity – for poultry meat products, official registration – for baby food poultry meat products,” the EEC officials added.
The TR sets the following requirements for poultry meat and processed poultry meat products:
- maximum residue levels in poultry slaughter products for 50 veterinary medicines;
- a ban on the use of water or food additives (including phosphates) in unprocessed poultry meat products;
- a standard for the amount of water released during poultry thawing (less than 4%);
- a ban on the use of particular food additives (including preservatives and flavor enhancers) and raw materials containing GMO and pesticides in the production of poultry products for child nutrition;
- tolerances for nutrient values declared on a label (protein, fat, carbohydrates, calories);
- indication of water added to processed poultry meat products or mechanically separated poultry meat regardless of the input method;
The EEC experts noted, that TR establishes a deferred standard for the control of the amount of water released during the storage of chilled poultry, until the necessary standard is developed. A classification for all types of poultry meat products is also in the plans.
The Technical Regulation (TR) Eurasian Economic Union (EAEU) on Safety of Poultry Meat and Processed Poultry Meat Products (TR EAEU 051/2021) was adopted by the Decision of the EEC Council No. 110 of October 29, 2021.
The lists of standards for the TR were approved by the Decision of the EEC Board No. 188 of November 29, 2022.
The transitional provisions of TR EAEU 051/2021 were set up until June 30, 2024 by another Decision of the EEC Board No. 65 of April 19, 2022.